Why is everyone trying to make money off fanfic? Go the fuck away and let us do something that we enjoy FOR FREE.
I have a lot of thoughts on this. Angry thoughts, to be completely honest. I’ll try to limit my use of capslock, but no promises.
I love the lack of capitalism in the creation of fanworks. It’s extremely important to me. We do it for ourselves, for each other. It is a free exchange of ideas and talents, done out of pure love and desire to create. FUCK YOU for trying to take that away from us.
I get it! Corporations just HATE that this huge, popular thing exists and they can’t figure out how to make money off it. So publishing companies scour archives for the next 50 Shades of Grey, trying to find anything that can have the ‘serial numbers’ filed off enough so that it can be resold as an original work.
They want to take something freely available, deny public access to it, then make people pay for the privilege of reading it. Isn’t capitalism beautiful?
I’m not saying that writers wanting to be paid for their work is inherently bad. Of course not! I have bookshelves full of books I paid money for. But people offering up their talents without requiring an exchange of goods in return is something I find truly beautiful. It goes against the grain of society, which teaches us ‘nothing’s ever free.’
Fandom is a small village, sitting around a campfire telling stories to each other. Anyone can sit and listen, anyone can contribute. You don’t need to pay to sit and listen – what a horrible shame it would be if someone built a fence, controlled the gate, held out their hand and denied you entry to the campfire if you didn’t have the cash in your pocket.
That is not what fanfic is about. It’s beautiful as is. Let’s not ever forget that.
- Parents: Don't forget to make us proud
- Friends: Don't forget to socialize
- Teachers: Don't forget to get A's
- Strangers: Don't forget to blend in
- Opposite sex: Don't forget to look good
- Society: Don't forget to be perfect
- Tumblr: Fuck the world, they're peasants. At least you haven't murdered somebody today
- Tumblr: But just in case you want to get away with it, here are some tips.
SPNG Tags: / Study Motivation / Finals /
Still not answering requests yet, etc, but if you’re about to undergo finals like me, here’s some motivation for you. : )
If you have any study/final/stop procrastinating themed Supernatural memes, please submit them!
Looking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif? This blog organizes them so you don’t have to spend hours hunting them down.
- normal people: buy a big house and a fancy car and a yacht and travel around the world
- me: ASDFGHJKL I COULD FINALLY GO TO COMIC CON AND VISIT ALL MY TUMBLR FRIENDS AND BUY ALL THE FANDOM T-SHIRTS AND ALL THE DVD SETS AND A BETTER LAPTOP AND A LIFETIME SUPPLY OF NUTELLA